Virat Kohli: Worst Indian captain in multilateral tournaments?

Abhishek Singh Updated: 20 June, 2020, 2:36 PM IST

In the list of India’s successful captains, the current skipper Virat Kohli is right there at the top in terms of winning percentage. Be it Test cricket, T20Is or ODIs, the Delhi born has remained ahead of his predecessors.

In Tests, Virat’s winning percentage is 60% with 33 wins in 55 matches and he is way ahead of MS Dhoni (45%) and Sourav Ganguly (42.85%), who are considered modern era greats among Indian captains. In ODIs too, Kohli has surpassed all expectations and his winning percentage of 71.83 is miles ahead of MS Dhoni’s (59.52) or Ganguly’s (53.90). In T20Is his only comparison can be made with Dhoni and over there too, his winning percentage is better than Dhoni.

But recently, India’s former opening batsman, Gautam Gambhir said that Kohli has achieved nothing as a captain. "Virat Kohli, at the moment has won nothing, to be honest, as a leader," Gambhir said. "He has a lot to achieve. He can keep scoring his own runs, but for me, I think in a team sport, till the time you don't win the big trophies, you will never be able to fulfill your entire career," he added.

So even after being the most successful captain in terms of winning percentage, why is Kohli being called a no achiever? The reason is simple as pointed out by Gambhir, Virat has literally not won even a single multilateral tournament as a captain.

No multilateral series wins

Since Virat took full charge of the Indian team in the year 2017, India has won two multilateral tournaments and lost two as well. The two losses, Champions Trophy 2017 and ICC ODI World Cup 2019 came under Kohli’s captaincy, while the two wins- Asia Cup 2018 and Nidahas Trophy 2018, came under Rohit Sharma. Kohli had pulled out ahead of those two tournaments due to personal reasons. So, in reality, Kohli has zero in front of his name when it comes to the success in multilateral tournaments.

Comparison with his predecessors

One argument that people give in Kohli’s favor is that he has played a few tournaments. But the point is his predecessors, be it Dhoni or Ganguly showed their mettle in those few tournaments itself. While the Indian run-machine Kohli hasn’t been able to win a single multilateral tournament in his three years of captaincy, Dhoni did it in his first instinct by winning the 2007 T20 World Cup. Ganguly too won the ICC Champions Trophy in 2002 (Shared with Sri Lanka) and NatWest Trophy 2002, just two years into his captaincy.

Failure in IPL

What has worried the Indians, even more, is the fact that Kohli hasn’t won a single title even for his IPL team in his 10 years of captaining the Royal Challengers Bangalore. On the other hand, rest of the Indian captains in the tournament, be it Kohli’s competitor Rohit Sharma, his predecessor MS Dhoni or even Gautam Gambhir have multiple IPL trophies.

No doubt Kohli has achieved some amazing feats like becoming the first Indian captain to win a Test series in Australia, winning ODI series in South Africa for the first time since 1992 and keeping the Indian team at the top in Test ranking but he has failed in big tournaments.