Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma: Opposite ends of stardom

Renin Wilben Albert Updated: 27 April, 2020, 3:03 PM IST

Indian captain Virat Kohli and his limited-overs deputy Rohit Sharma are undoubtedly the two best batsmen in the country at present. While Kohli has proved himself across formats and in all kinds of challenging conditions, Rohit is a limited-overs legend who is beginning to make his mark in the Test format as well, in his newfound role as an opener. India are lucky to have two such greats playing in the same eleven, and too at the peak of their game. At the same time, it cannot be denied that two superstar players rarely get along as good friends. The same is likely to be the case with Kohli and Rohit.

Different nature and constant comparisons

One of the key reasons why Kohli and Rohit shouldn’t be expected to be the best of buddies is because they are completely opposite in nature and the way they play their game. While Kohli's attitude is brash, and his aggression over the top, Rohit is more calm and composed. It cannot be denied though that both methods have produced results. At the same time, the constant comparisons between the two with relation to their batting feats and captaincy will continue, and this is where their camaraderie could be tested.

While Kohli is likely to remain Test captain for a while, the calls are growing for Rohit to take over as skipper in the shorter formats considering Kohli has failed to deliver the goods in ICC tournaments, both with the bat and as a leader in the knockout games. Following India's exit from the 2019 World Cup, numerous media reports emerged that the Indian team was split into two camps -- one close to Kohli and the other to Rohit. It was also stated that the Rohit camp wasn't happy with unilateral decisions being made by Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri.

Everyone at the centre of the controversy - Kohli, Rohit, and Shastri -- slammed reports of the alleged rift. But, clearly, the Indian team looked like a disjointed outfit in a few games, and the lack of planning came to the fore in the semis. While players might be silent now as they are at the top of their game, expect some skeletons to tumble out when these cricketers retire and come out with their memoirs.

Putting team above self

That players need to get along very well with each other for the sake of the team is an overrated myth. The simple fact is that when there are two superstar players in the team, there are bound to be some trust issues and ego clashes. That is human nature. We can see how former players like Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, and Yuvraj Singh have taken digs at MS Dhoni's captaincy recently. These were the same men who combined to bring India glory and two World Cups, but never spoke anything against the skipper when they were part of the team, and carried on as if everything was hunky-dory.

Indian cricket is in fact replete with examples of star players not being best of friends. Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar presently praise each other on most platforms, but with the captaincy see-saw between them, it was not easy for the two to always be on the same page. Sachin Tendulkar and Mohammad Azharuddin too are said to have had an uneasy time when one played under the other during the fag end of the latter's career.

Not only India, international cricket too has numerous instances of best players not being best buddies. The greatest example is of the Pakistan pace duo -- Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. In Australia, former captain Steve Waugh and spin wizard Shane Warne often did not see eye to eye. There is one more common factor in all the above instances though. These great players never let their personal equation come in between the team's cause. This is exactly what Rohit and Kohli are doing too. As long as they are putting in their best for the team, it shouldn't matter how good they are as pals. Also, the façade of fake bonhomie doesn't need to be presented to paint a rosy picture. If all is not well, so be it. Why not just admit it and move on, instead of waiting for another Anil Kumble-Kohli type controversy?