The Problem with AB de Villiers

Sreelata S Yellamrazu Updated: 1 May, 2020, 11:22 AM IST

One of the more startling news to come out after the AB de Villiers-South Africa’s ICC Cricket World Cup fiasco in 2019 was the media mention of AB de Villiers not only expressing South Africa’s interest in having him back in the fold but also, asking him to lead the team. While de Villiers has since denied the reports, here is why de Villiers is always going to be a storm chaser.

In the wake of the shambles that was the premier tournament last June and the fallout of the cricket board with the media amongst others, the overhaul – albeit on a temporary set up under an acting CEO- made no bones about the fact that they would like to bring back to the fold as much talent as they could manage. If it was exploiting de Villiers’ sudden change of heart to play an important tournament for South Africa, CSA in its new avatar was on board, with some caveat as was expected.

De Villiers’ revelation last year right as the South African dream was crumbling in the midst of the World Cup was not only considered poor timing but also, in poor taste. For one, it put Faf du Plessis, the then South African captain, right in the middle of the muddle. While Cricket South Africa expressed their reluctance to acquiesce to de Villiers at the eleventh hour in a situation that would not be fair to the set-up of selection and players, they had also expressed their ‘shock’ that Faf du Plessis would even entertain the idea given that de Villiers, of his own volition, announced his retirement a year before in the middle of the Indian Premier League no less.

The idea that he thought he could walk back into the team was considered both, preposterous and presumptuous.

It is in light of that fiasco that when a sports media outlet released a statement purportedly on behalf of de Villiers saying that Cricket South Africa not only wanted him but wanted him to lead, there was skepticism that this was not just the media making a long stretch of a short story, but also, that there might be some truth to de Villiers’ expression of intent.

One of the most versatile batsmen in the world, it could be said that de Villiers became his own undoing, expressing the ambition for captaincy, nearly throwing it all away when he was overlooked for Hashim Amla, then being handed the captaincy but finding the cup too strong for his taste. Given the many see-saw fluctuations in what should have been the leading batsman in the world, while de Villiers is entitled to feel aggrieved over the statements attributed to him, the quick clarification was also essential given that the new set up that includes former teammates, Graeme Smith, and Mark Boucher, as director of cricket and head coach respectively, have explicitly stated that de Villiers needs to work his way back before he becomes a part of the next World Cup contingent later in the year.

With de Villiers already wavering if the ICC Twenty20 World Cup is pushed back a year, South Africa are wary of putting all their eggs in one basket and rightfully so.