Speculation is the name of the game

Partab Ramchand Updated: 17 June, 2020, 4:17 PM IST

Whatever predictions that are made right now about the immediate future of cricket can only be in the realm of speculation. Everything is so uncertain with the coronavirus refusing to abate. In fact, the cases and the death count keep rising by the day in various parts of the world. Given this grim and cheerless scenario, it is no surprise that players, officials, and administrators can only talk in terms of perhaps and maybes.

Among the discussions on various competitions the T-20 World Cup, the IPL and the Indian team’s tour of Australia predictably take pride of place. International cricket is set to resume with the England – West Indies Test series next month but even with that contest there is a lot to be done regarding security measures and quarantine with the focus also being on the changes implemented by the ICC and how these will be carried out. In a way, the matches will showcase the immediate future of cricket and how tours and tournaments will be conducted for the rest of the year at least.

It is clear that the BCCI will not give up hopes of conducting the IPL this year. They are looking out for any window – be it dates or venue. The first such opportunity was seen in the possible postponement of the T-20 World Cup wherein it was discussed that the IPL could be squeezed in through the October – November window. Then followed debates about the venue. India was clearly the first choice but if it could not be held because of the continuing coronavirus threat then the United Arab Emirates and Sri Lanka emerged as alternative venues. Then there was the question of timing with Sunil Gavaskar saying that there could be a realistic chance of conducting a truncated IPL in Sri Lanka from early September. His contention was that Australia might end up hosting the World Cup after having successfully flattened the Covid-19 curve. The IPL has been held abroad before with South Africa hosting the tournament in 2009 and the UAE hosting part of it five years later.

Then there is the issue of which is to get priority – the World Cup or the IPL with Allan Border for one saying that if the former could not be held the latter should also not be staged. Ian Chappell is of the view that India will have its way and will go through with the IPL come what may. On his part, Cricket Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts admitted last week that the conduct of the World Cup was ``at a very high risk’’ while adding that there was ``a nine in ten chance’’ that the Indian tour of Australia will take place while CA chairman Earl Eddings has conceded that conducting the World Cup appears to be ``unrealistic’’

Meanwhile India has called off tours to Zimbabwe, South Africa, and Sri Lanka and there is no guarantee there will not be more such cancellations in the near future. Yes, everything is quite fluid right now in the world of cricket and nothing can be stated categorically.