Ranked! Top knocks of Suresh Raina

CT Contributor Updated: 16 August, 2020, 2:14 PM IST

If ‘elegance’ has another word in cricket, then it has to be Suresh Raina without any doubt. Above all, he is a team man. He can bat, bowl and field. When he first donned the Indian jersey, people said, Suresh Raina, who? He announced his retirement from international cricket on Saturday. However, he will continue to represent his IPL franchise, Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League. Let’s take a look at the best knocks played by the left-handed batsman.

#9. When 'Elegance' started to grace the sport

Team India has always produced some mesmerizing talents over the years and Suresh Raina impressed everyone with his style of batting. His skill set came to the fore ever since he timed the balls quite exquisitely against England in March 2006 when he made a handsome 81 to help the side chase 227. When Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Yuvraj, Kaif floundered to make the cut in the pursuit of chasing the target, Suresh Raina showcased his class as a 19-year-old with 8 fours and a six.

#8. Suresh Raina's solo album: 106 vs. Sri Lanka

It was the Tri-nation tournament where India and Sri Lanka cruised to the finale with Bangladesh being bowed out of the race in Dhaka. India had a bad start of the day. Kulasekara and Welegedara ripped through the defense of the Indian batting line-up as the scorecard read 60/5 at one stage. With India needing some immediate impact, Suresh Raina single-handedly took the Lankan attack to cleaners as he accumulated 106 runs with the help of 10 fours and a six to his name. Though India lost the match, Suresh Raina won the hearts.

#7. Roaring Knock for the 'CSK' in IPL Finale

Suresh Raina's cameo against Mumbai Indians in the IPL final in 2010 had a lot of flesh on the channel that made the whistles blow in CSK's way. Known for the knack of crafty standards of punching and counterpunching techniques, he could counter Mumbai Indians with an emphatic man of the match 57* of 35 (3 fours, 3 sixes) to help CSK win the title for the first time.

Stitching together a 72-run liaison with MS Dhoni was the bonanza for the fourth wicket. Raina proved to be a lethal weapon who switched his intensity at a rather quick pace. This literally helped the Kings to score 168 and CSK restricted the flow of Mumbai Indians' momentum to steal the spotlight. Raina's impeccable knock will go down as the finest knock-in CSK’s history.

#6. Lit the candle on Litmus Test debut

Essaying a hundred in the Test match as a debutant is not that easy but Suresh Raina made it look so. In a match that demanded a hoard of endeavors, the classy left-hander showcased his talent on the Lankan soil in July 2010. Raina went on to make his career-best score of 120 inclusive of 12 fours and 2 sixes that helped the team switch gears to cause chaos in the Sri Lankan ranks.

Suresh Raina will forever remember this epic knock as himself and legendary Sachin Tendulkar stitched together a 256-run partnership for the fifth wicket. This partnership proved to be a vital cog for India to come from behind Sri Lanka's mammoth 642 to garner 707.

#5. Keen to flex the muscles in the truncated version of the game

There is always a special bond between Suresh Raina and T20s because he showcases his batting prowess by shooting the balls right from ball one. Raina's stellar knock of 101 off just 60 balls against South Africa in the group game of the 2010 ICC World T20 in West Indies is still the best innings in his T20 career.

Raina's knock was punctuated by 9 flashy fours and 5 cracking sixes that took the Proteas attack to cleaners. The selfless cricketer was named the man of the match for his impeccable passage of play.

#4. Sometimes small knocks make a Huge Difference

How many times have we seen Suresh Raina playing spectacular handy cameos that went on to make a healthy dosage to the team? It was a virtual quarter-final clash between India and Australia in the 2011 ODI World Cup. Suresh Raina once again upped his ante in the important episode where he scored 34* off 28 balls.

Chasing a commendable target of 261, Yuvraj Singh, the man of that tournament was picking things up well but required someone to surge the flow of runs as the scorecard was 187/5. Suresh Raina rolled his sleeves alongside Yuvraj Singh to put up a vital 74-run partnership to pull off the ropes to take India to the semi-final.

#3. Some record to boast about: 100 off 75 balls

India were battered and bruised by the English side in the Test series in 2014 where they lost by a 3-1 margin with one match being drawn. Their only win against England came at Lord's after 28 years. India wanted to give it back with grit and determination and much to their curiosity to pose a threat to England, Suresh Raina shot into prominence once again. English bowlers tried many ways to outsmart Raina but the latter had other ideas to score a quick-fire 75-ball century blitz that helped India win the game. However, India avenged the defeat to England in the ODI series.

#2. When Raina's innings blew the opposition away: 87 off 25 balls

In IPL 2014 where the rhetorical Raina played one heck of a knock against Kings XI Punjab and left the onlookers in awe with terrific counter-attacking instincts. CSK might have lost while chasing a colossal 227 but well done Suresh Raina.

Known for the knack of slicing the blade right from ball one, he caused as much carnage to the Kings XI where he composed a staggering 87 off 25 balls. His belligerent approach lit a fire in the stadium as he switched the rhythm on to help the team score 100 off just 6 overs.

#1. When Suresh Raina mastered the art of chasing: 110* in WC 2015

Fans don't remember how it started but they do remember how memorable the ending was and in this case, Suresh Raina has by far lived up to his standards. It is indeed fair to say that Raina is next to MS Dhoni in terms of finishing. He does it by absorbing the pressure as he craftily turns the 1s into 2s and plays a wide range of shots in crunch situations of the game.

Time and again, Suresh Raina has made it a habit of turning up again in the World Cup tournaments and the best knock of his ODI career in pursuit of chasing the total came in the 2015 World Cup against Zimbabwe when he joined hands with MS Dhoni to master the art of wrapping things up in a good fashion.

Having been cut down to 92/4 by the Zimbabwe bowlers, India were in the hunt to chase down 287 but with the almost first half of the lineup left the pitch, the entire nation pinned hopes on Suresh Raina and MS Dhoni as both constructed a gallant 196* run-stand that helped India in the end. Suresh Raina was named the man of the match for his mesmerizing 110*.