Ranked! Top 5 greatest innings of MS Dhoni

Renin Wilben Albert Updated: 16 August, 2020, 2:03 PM IST

Former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni announced his retirement from international cricket on India’s 74th Independence Day, marking the end of a glorious 16-year career. In his own inimitable style, Dhoni walked away in silence, taking to Instagram and posting a video with a collage of pictures from his incredible journey. The post was followed with the caption, “Thanks. Thanks a lot for ur love and support throughout. From 1929 hrs consider me as Retired,” and the legendary Mukesh number ‘Main Pal Do Pal Ka Shayar’ playing in the background. With Dhoni walking away from the limelight, it’s a good time to revisit his best knocks in international cricket.

1. 91 not out vs Sri Lanka (2011 World Cup final)

For obvious reasons, Dhoni’s masterclass in the 2011 World Cup final ranks at the top. Chasing a challenging 275 against Sri Lanka, India were under massive pressure at 114 for 3. Dhoni hadn't been in great form in the tournament, yet decided to lead from the front and promoted himself ahead of the in-form Yuvraj Singh. He stayed calm right through even after Gautam Gambhir played a rash stroke on 97 to give Lanka hope. Dhoni’s nerveless knock of 91 not out from 79 balls sits among the greatest in World Cup finals, and his six to bring the trophy home is one for the ages.

2. 76 not out in 2007 Lord’s Test

Dhoni’s Test career was not as impressive as his limited-overs one. But, he did play a few defining knocks, none better than the unbeaten 76 at Lord’s in 2007. Chasing 380, India had lost half of their side for 145. Following VVS Laxman’s dismissal with the score at 231 for 6, Dhoni had only the tail for company. Putting aside his natural game, the wicket-keeper batsman dug in for an uncharacteristic 76 from 159 balls, even as wickets kept falling from the other end. With some help from the weather, Dhoni pulled off a great escape for India. The innings was significant as a buoyant India went on to clinch the Test series.

3. 148 vs Pakistan (Vizag ODI 2005)

The knock that announced the arrival of MSD on the international stage. Having failed to make an impact lower down the order in the first few games, Dhoni was sent in at number three by then skipper Sourav Ganguly during the Vizag ODI against Pakistan in April 2005. Pakistan did not know much about Dhoni, but by the time his innings ended, the opponents and the cricketing fraternity knew that a special talent has been unearthed. Using brute force and raw energy, Dhoni muscled his way to 148 from 123 balls with 15 fours and four sixes. The knock came against a decent attack comprising of Mohammad Sami, Naved-ul-Hasan and Abdul Razzaq. A stunned Pakistan went down by 58 runs. The rest, as they say, is history.

4. 224 vs Australia (Chennai Test 2013)

Having been blanked 0-4 in England and Australia in the 2011-12 season, and having conceded the Test series to England at home (2012), Dhoni was under intense pressure when Australia visited India in early 2013. Dhoni though displayed no nerves as he smashed a quite belligerent 224 in the first Test of the series at Chennai. His knock came in response to Australia’s first innings total of 380. The Indian skipper smashed a highly aggressive 224 in 265 balls to pave the way for an impressive eight-wicket triumph. His knock set the tone of the series, and India went on to hammer the Aussies 4-0.

5. 183 not out vs Sri Lanka (Jaipur ODI 2005)

Just a few months after his Vizag blitzkrieg, Dhoni demonstrated his finishing prowess. India were set to chase a tough 299 in the third ODI against Sri Lanka. This time, skipper Rahul Dravid did a Ganguly and promoted Dhoni to number three. The hard-hitting batsman delivered again, plundering the Lankan attack en route to his unbeaten 183 from 145 balls, featuring 10 sixes. The standout aspect of this knock was that Dhoni wasn’t satisfied with a hundred, and went on to stay till the very end. It wouldn't be wrong to say that the Jaipur innings gave birth to Dhoni the finisher.