MS Dhoni: A messiah whose contribution to Indian cricket goes way beyond numbers

Renin Wilben Albert Updated: 16 August, 2020, 2:10 PM IST

10,773 runs in 350 ODIs, 4876 in 90 Tests, 1617 runs in T20Is, 829 dismissals as wicket-keeper. If one goes by numbers alone, the just-retired MS Dhoni has made a gigantic contribution to Indian cricket. Add it to his crowning glory as a skipper -- two World Cups, and a Champions Trophy triumph. However, Dhoni’s stats are just sizzlers in the vast menu that the former captain put out on display on the international stage -- as a player, as a leader, and as an individual as a whole. Dhoni’s presence in the Indian team over the last decade and a half has transformed the team’s fortunes like few before him have done.

Heralding a new era in Indian cricket

March 23, 2007, at Port-of-Spain was one of the lowest points of Indian cricket. Abject surrender to Sri Lanka in the league game dumped India out of the 2007 World Cup. Dhoni, himself, had a forgettable encounter, trapped lbw by the guile of Muttiah Muralitharan's first ball. However, it was under the same Dhoni that India turned things around a few months later, as a young team lifted the inaugural T20 World Cup in South Africa. It marked a completely fresh chapter in Indian cricket and was the beginning of the Dhoni era in no uncertain terms.

Dhoni the captain

In his very first World Cup, Dhoni proved what a shrewd thinker he is. His instinctive style often caught the opponents off-guard, none more prominently than in the final when his decision to give the unheralded Joginder Sharma the last over proved to be a master-stroke. As a leader, Dhoni was often one step ahead of the opposition. His decision to promote himself in the 2011 World Cup final, ahead of the supremely in-form Yuvraj Singh, was a highly calculated move. With Gautam Gambhir out in the middle, the Indian captain was aware that a left-right combo would make the Sri Lankan bowlers work harder.

Dhoni the batsman

As a batsman, Dhoni transformed himself from a hard-hitting lower-order batsman to arguably the best limited-overs finisher the world has ever seen. His decision to take the game to the very end had its critics. However, Dhoni backed his power-hitting and came out on top more often than not. It was only towards the twilight of his career that this approach proved to be a handicap, as MSD failed to get the big shots going. However, till the very end, fans had hope until Dhoni was at the crease. This was very much true in his last international game -- when he was run out for 50 in the 2019 World Cup semi-final. Indian supporters were optimistic about one last hurrah from Dhoni. Alas, it wasn’t to be.

Dhoni the keeper

So successful was Dhoni the batsman and captain, his supreme wicket-keeping skills never got the due it deserved. The fact is that Dhoni could walk into any limited-overs playing eleven on the basis of his glovework alone. Dhoni’s blink-and-you-miss stumpings are fodder for numerous YouTube videos and his backhand flick is another example of his street-smart thinking. With Dhoni behind the stumps, batsmen could never take it easy. How much India missed Dhoni the keeper became evident when his replacement Rishabh Pant struggled to get even the basics right. Even when he wasn’t skipper, Dhoni kept guiding the likes of Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal, playing key roles in their rise as a potent spin duo.

A one-of-a-kind story

There are numerous rags to riches tales in Indian cricket. But, Dhoni’s stellar rise to stardom is unique in itself. Before him, no other cricketer from Jharkhand had represented India. Still, Dhoni dared to dream even when working as a ticket inspector with the Indian Railways. The grand success of Dhoni not only put Jharkhand and Ranchi (his birthplace) on the world map but also inspired other cricketers from the state to think big. Since, the likes of Varun Aaron, Saurabh Tiwary, and, more recently, have gone on to represent India. Even as Dhoni won’t be seen in Indian colors again, his contribution to Indian cricket will remain immortal.