Liverpool to reject bids for Coutinho

Liverpool will rebuff any bids for Philippe Coutinho in this transfer window, the club's American owners said, in the latest blow to Barcelona in its attempts to replace Neymar.

Fenway Sports Group backed up this "definitive stance," which was announced in a short statement, by reportedly rejecting a transfer request submitted by the Brazil playmaker hours later.

Barcelona is looking for a replacement for Neymar, who was sold to Paris Saint-Germain for a world-record fee of 222 million euros ($262 million) last week.

Barcelona has made two offers for Coutinho, the latest reportedly being 100 million euros. That was rejected on Wednesday.

"The club's definitive stance is that no offers for Philippe will be considered," FSG said, "and he will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes."

Borussia Dortmund said it turned down a bid from Barcelona for France forward Ousmane Dembele, who subsequently missed a training session with the German club.

Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp has repeatedly said the club will not be selling the 25-year-old Coutinho, who has become a key player for the Premier League team and Brazil in recent years. Liverpool will compete in the Champions League playoffs this month in an attempt to seal a return to Europe's premier club competition. "I can't keep players happy. That's how life is," Klopp said at a news conference on Friday, a day before Liverpool begins the Premier League season with a game at Watford.


More from the web